Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pear Harvest Memories

My father-in-law, obm, (above, my husband and his father) was a kind and gentle man. He loved nature, his family and walking through the supermarket to see all the new items on the shelves.
He planted a pear tree that never bore fruit. No matter what he did, no fruit.
My father-in-law became ill, very ill. He went from hospital to hospital and with complications and the way unfortunately some illnesses go, the doctors said that not only would he not recover, but there was no reason for him to be in the hospital any longer.
My husband asked his father, "Father, is there anything I can do for you? Is there anything that you want?" His father replied with a smile, "I'd like to see pears on my pear tree."
Before my husband picked his father up from the hospital to bring him to rest at home, he went to the supermarket and bought a bag full of pears, and hung up the pears with rubber bands all over the bare tree.
When they returned from the hospital, my husband wheeled his father into the yard to show him the pear tree. My father-in-law laughed and cried simultaneously, as he saw dozens of pears gaily dangling from his tree.
When my father-in-law passed away, there was one thing we wanted - the pear tree.
My eldest son, may he live and be well, planted it in our front yard on the holiday of Tu B'Shevat (the holiday of the trees). For years it stood barren, just as it did in my in-law's backyard. Then one day while we were chatting in front of the house, I noticed little balls on the pear tree. "Quick," I said, "Call the gardener. Something is terribly wrong with the tree. It has these things on it."
We looked closer and realized that those little balls were pears. Our joy knew no bounds (really). We saw the tiny pears and could only think of my husband's father. We drenched the soil with our tears.
That year, we had a beautiful crop of pears, and we put two pairs each in a plastic bag, and distributed a pair of pears and a pair of blessings to each of our neighbors.
This year, because of the drastically hot weather, we have only a few pears. But we cherish them as we did that first crop.
So, we offer to you again, a pair of pears, and a pair of blessings for the new year.
** May you and those you love have a year of good health.



** May you and those you love see peace in Jerusalem and the world.

Shana tova to all and a happy healthy prosperous safe peaceful new year.
From the Katzes and our pear tree

No comments:

Post a Comment