Saturday, March 17, 2012

Frozen Barbie

I opened the refrigerator and got a bit of a start.
There, sitting on my seltzer bottle on the third shelf was a Barbie doll. It's just something you don't see in your fridge every day. A blonde pajama-ed Barbie, casually reclining against a jar of mayonnaise.
It took me a while to track down the reason for this cooled doll, and find the mastermind behind this Popsicle Barbie.
About 15 years ago, my daughter won this Sleep-Over Barbie at a Chinese Auction that I had chaired. She loved it. Clad in her light pastel-colored pajamas, Barbie was indeed sleeping. But if you took a wet cloth, and rubbed it on her eyes, those eyes would miraculously open.
One of my little granddaughters discovered the Barbie in one of our toy boxes, and was determined to reactivate the magic. She tried the wet cloth trick. No luck. She tried hot water, cold water, ice cubes. Nothing. But she was sure that something would make Barbie open those baby blues again. Although she had to catch a bus to get home, she decided that the refrigerator was the answer, and before she left, she popped Barbie inside.
I loved granddaughters. They're always full of surprises. But, I'm sorry to report that even after the Big Chill, Barbie still has not opened her eyes. Well, she's 15 years old (I don't know what that is in doll years), so maybe she's just tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment