Monday, May 9, 2011

Through the Looking Glass

My family arrived from America yesterday, just in time to stand with me during the siren in memory of Israel's fallen soldiers. They walked into the house, gave me a hug and all was regular.
There wasn't screaming and jumping as was once the norm.
Well, I had just seen them the day before. We got together on Skype. We chat almost every day for a few moments or a lengthy talk.
I see their new eye glasses. They see my messy office. We are together. Sitting together, sharing together. They're on one side of the looking glass, I mean, the screen. And I'm on the other.
So, when they walked into my kitchen last night, they were just walking from one side of the screen to the other.
I do not get a fee or percentage for people who sign up to Skype. :) But I have become a big fan of this program that keeps me connected to my loved ones in a very real, up close way.
It's more than email, more than a phone call. It's almost "Beam me up, Scotty." Maybe one day it will be.
Meanwhile, it's "the closest thing to being there." Thanks, Mr. Skype.

1 comment:

  1. After reading this I wanted to share my "skype story" with you. A few weeks ago my daughter came for shabbat. As they walk in the door she says to her 6 month old baby: "look it's the people from the computer". At first I found that insulting, but after a few days I realized: it's a good thing they invented skype or my granddaughter wouldn't recognize me at all! Not having and family outside of Israel, I never used skype before. Now my daughter calls to say "the baby is getting up on all fours" or "the baby is eating mashed carrots". So I guess I aslo have to join you in thanking Mr. Skype.

    ReplyDelete