Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Home, Home on the Shooting Range

I renewed my gun license today. Yay, one more of life's bureaucratic items out of the way.
I've come to dread those renewal sessions. I worry that my gun belt won't close on me any more (it did :) ). I worry that I won't be able to see the target (it wasn't as easy as it used to be). I worry that I'll be embarrassingly bad on the range.
Well, first let me tell you the last, by the end of the session, I was shooting very well.
Now, the beginning. I had started thinking, "Maybe I don't need a gun anymore. How many grandmothers carry guns anyway? It's so heavy, who needs it?"
My instructor Avi Dobuler explained the importance of carrying a gun, being prepared and reacting safely and immediately. He said, "You should never need to use your gun. But if knowing how to use your gun properly can save a life, then you'll be ready."
His patience with me was extroardinary. His guidance to my shooting was great. I began by hitting the outer outer target area, and then later, getting right at the heart of the target.
I tried to act cool and nonchalant, but when I saw all those bullet holes right where they were supposed to be I wanted to bounce, "Yeah, yeah, I got it. Oo ooh. Yeah, yeah, I got it."
We practiced walking, hearing a boom, and then taking action.
We practiced all kinds of exercises around invisible innocent people. (B"H, I never hurt one.)
I did pretty well. Now if I can just get the speed needed, watch out bad guys!! Here comes Savta (Granny)!!
We practiced shooting straight, fast, exactly, different targets.
My worst problem was speed. I can draw my gun, aim and shoot, but the bad guy's going to have to eat dinner or stop for a smoke, while I'm getting into position, because that just takes me quite a long time.
Avi announced, "Boom." "Fast, fire." And I carefully got my hands into the perfect condition. He kept saying, "Hurry, hurry, the bad guy is coming right at you." (Hm, that guy's just gonna have to wait).
Well, I finally picked up speed, but I probably still look like shooting in slow motion.
I decided I'm going to try to ask my friends if they'd like to practice shooting once a month with me.
I'd like to be an effective and secure gun-toting-grandma.
Keep safe, everyone.
For more information about shooting, contact Avi Dobuler - 052-329-9945.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too prefer to carry firearm with me for safety purpose. I am also doing conceal carry class from Mass firearms safety course to learn all information about firearm and safely firearm shooting.

    ReplyDelete