Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Tikkun Olam in the Kitchen

One of the guiding principles of our lives as Jews, and of many humanitarian righteous gentiles is Tikkun Olam (fixing the world).
We learn one simple way to fix the world – attribute a quote to the person who says it. Or, give credit, where credit is due. Can you believe that something so simple can bring Meshiach (the Messiah) closer?
I think that this principle goes for recipes too. Whenever I cook, I look at my recipe and remember the great person who gave it to me. Their name on my recipe makes me think kindly of them. They're adding flavor and joy to my Shabbat/holiday/anyday table. And if I pass it along, I try to remember to pass it with credit to the person who gave it to me. Tikkun Olam through cooking.
So, as we are at Erev Rosh Hashana, the challot are rising (my husband is the baker) and the corned beef is still boiling, I'd like to share with you my latest Rosh Hashana recipes that will hopefully add truth and righteousness to the world just by attributing the recipe to the rightful originator.

My daughter-in-law Mimi in Bet El gave me the recipe for BARLEY SALAD.
2 cups of barley

Dressing
1/2 cup oil
2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp honey
1 tsp salt
2 drops of mustard
Craisins
Scallions
Boil the barley, cool. Then before serving, dress the salad. Yummm.

My son Natah in Bet El gave me this recipe for POTATOES & MUSHROOM.
3/4 cup canola oil – take off 2 Tbs and drop into frying pan
Saut̩ mushrooms (it calls for a cool kinda mushroom, like Shitaki, but I don't have) until tender Рabout 7 minutes
Add 2 crushed garlic cloves. Sauté for one more minute. Preheat oven to 450.
Grease bottom of glass or ceramic quart dish. Peel and slice potatoes into 1/8 inch circles. Toss with remaining oil. Add 1 tsp of dried thyme, salt and pepper. Layer bottom of pan with 3 layers of potatoes. Then put mushrooms on top, and if there are potatoes left, put them on top of that. Place in oven and bake for 40 minutes at 450. Natah says he puts the potatoes in the oven for 30 minutes on the bottom rack and then 10 minutes on the top rack, and it is toasted. Delicious.

My friend Fayge in Efrat gave me the recipe for SQUASH & APPLES
(By squash, I hope she meant zucchini, because that's what I used)
5-6 squash
1 large onion
2 large apples
1 Tbs ketchup (Fayge uses more)
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbs sugar
1/2 cup water
Lemon juice
Saute onion, add squash and apples with lemon juice. Add remainder ingredients and let simmer over a low flame, approximately 20-25 minutes. Sweet and tasty.

My friend Sara in Bet El passed along a recipe for CORNED BEEF SAUCE from the lady in the Chafetz Chaim meat store in Jerusalem.

1 cup brown sugar
5 Tbs ketchup
2 Tbs vinegar
2 Tbs oil
2 Tbs mustard
Boil these ingredients together and serve on corned beef.

There you have it – all the new dishes that I'll be making on the holiday. Shana tova.
May it be a year of sharing many good recipes that bring joy to your family. And may we always share those recipes with the name of the person who kindly gave it to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment