Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Discover Israel (#3)

A TV show with Menashe Tucker aired excerpts of superstar music concerts – Shwekey in Caesaria (I have since seen Shwekey in Efrat), Mordechai Ben David, and then Oif Simchas performing a concert for Jewish children who are terror victims. (It always makes me proud when performers use their talents for tzedakah. That’s what I’ve tried to do for nine years in Raise Your Spirits and the past three in Dames of the Dance.)
They also showed a music video of Shloimi Gertner. Seeing long-coated fur-hatted Chassidim dancing a choreographed routine in a Yiddish-language music video just cracked me up. What’s next?
One more note…There were clips from Lag B’Omer in Meron. Wow. No wonder people will do anything they can to get there for the holiday. It looked like the most uplifting event. Thousands of Chassidim dancing and jumping, creating waves of black and white, with some color dotted in there. I’ve been to Chassidic simchas, a tisch, and a fabrengin or two, but I have never in my life seen anything like this. Director Cecil B. DeMille, who loved filming casts of thousands, should have been there. And if you can get there next year, join them for the experience of a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment